Experimental Systems & Systems in Development
Risa/Asir is the name of whole libraries of an experimental computer
algebra system developed at Fujitsu Laboratories Limited.
The structure of Risa is as follows.
- The basic algebraic engine
- This is the part which performs basic algebraic operations, such
as arithmetic operations, to algebraic objects, e.g., numbers and
polynomials, which are already converted into internal forms. It
exists, like `libc.a' of UNIX, as a library of ordinary UNIX
system. The algebraic engine is written mainly in C language and
partly in assembler. It serves as the basic operation part of
Asir, a standard language interface of Risa. It can also be
linked to various programs that need some symbolic and algebraic
- Memory Manager
- Asir is a standard language interface of Risa's algebraic engine.
It is one of the possible language interfaces, because one can
develop one's own language interface easily on Risa system. Asir
is an example of such language interfaces. Asir has very similar
syntax and semantics as C language. Furthermore, it has a
debugger that provide a subset of commands of `dbx', a widely
used debugger of C language.
Features of Asir
Main features supported for Version Asir-940420 are:
We refer to the User's Manual (in PostScript,
gzipped format) for details.
- A C-like programming language
- Arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and
division) on numbers, polynomials and rational expressions
- Operations on vectors and matrices
- List processing operations at the minimum
- Several Built-in functions (factorization, GCD computation etc.)
- Useful user defined functions(e.g., Groebner basis package)
- A `dbx'-like debugger
- Plotting of implicit functions
- Numerical evaluation of mathematical expressions including
elementary transcendental functions at arbitrary precision (This
feature is in force only if PARI system, described in a later
section, is linked together.)
Platform currently supported are
sun3, sun4, Linux Machine, NeXT, DECStation, DEC Alpha, RISC-NEWS,
and 386/486 DOS machine.
Risa/Asir and its supporting documentation can be obtained by
anonymous ftp from endeavor.fujitsu.co.jp
Unfortunately, a new manual for Version 950831 is provided only
in Japanese. All functions in Version 940420 is available also in
Version 950831 except for Groebner package.
- the directory /pub/isis/asir-old contains Version 940420
- /pub/isis/asir contains current version, Version 950831
Please use the manual for Version 940420 for a while.
Last updated: September 23, 1995